Depression, low and changing moods go hand-in-hand with the teenage years. As a mother or carer of a teenage daughter this can be a challenging phase. It could be due to more serious factors that need medical attention, but more often than not it is a temporary state of mind due to lack of exercise and fresh air. There is nothing more attractive than a girl who oozes confidence, has a positive mind-set and a cheerful disposition.
How do we help our daughters reach this level of inner beauty? It’s as simple as W-A-L-K-I-N-G.
Research as shown that walking at least 150 minutes every week in total has endless benefits when it comes to looking and feeling beautiful. Here are our top 5 benefits/beauty secrets.
- Morning walks help synchronise our body clocks and boost serotonin production – serotonin governs our moods.
- Walking for at least 15 minutes clears our head, calms us down and keeps us inspired. If you’re feeling down, go for a walk.
- Walking oxygenates our bodies, brains included. It stimulates cognitive functions, whilst improving concentration and memory
- Just walking briskly causes us to eliminate toxins and have skin clean and free of granites and blackheads.
- Walking instead of a car ride is a great opportunity for one-on-one time with your daughter. This builds trust, open communication and strengthens your bond with her. Therapeutic and lots of fun!
Encouraging a preference for walking short distances instead of driving is a habit our girls will be thanking us for for years to come. Comment and share your experiences if you’ve tried Tip #5 or any other similar tips in relationship building with your girls.
Photo credit pixabay